Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hike to Pila

I took the short hike to Pila last weekend.  I guess it took about 45 minutes to get up there.  You can get to Pila using the funicular (gondola), but it, like many restaurants in the region, is closed to tourists until March.  If you happen to live in Pila and would like to get home from the train without a 45 minute hike that alternates between switchbacks and straight up, you get a personal key to and can funicular yourself up the mountain!!

I'm not sure how fast it is, though, because I walked to the funicular stop and saw a man let himself on.  And then I ran into him again once I got to the top!  Of course, he had probably already had time to go grocery shopping and walk the dog before running into me.  But we had a funny little conversation (in Italian!) in which he explained the system to me.  It was good that my friend David (who is in the program at the Dimitri school) had already explained it a few days earlier.  Know what's coming really helps with my Italian comprehension!  (Don't get me started on friday's 2 hour dramaturgy lecture...)

I don't qualify for a personal funicular pass, so I'll have to wait until spring to take the ride with the rest of the tourists.  In the meantime, it's a lovely hike.  The sun comes out once you get a little ways up the hill.

Here are some pictures!

path towards Pila

Stump Sculpture on the trail

Intragna in the sun!  From the trail.

There are SO many shrines on this trail!  Plenty of opportunities to give thanks for not having a heart attack or breaking an ankle while on your way up (or down)...  All of the shrines also contain offerings of some sort.  Many have rooves, but some are carved into the walls of the village.

Little shrine in a wall.  No offerings, though.

Very helpful street signs in the middle of the woods!

And in case you don't know if you're on the trail or walking up someone's driveway, the trails are pretty well marked.

OK!   More  pictures later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment